2009年8月20日木曜日

Ouch... proper hook technique

I can tell you this much....

Do not punch with your thumb.

Tuesday I got into the ring to work mitts with my coach NOI.
No kicks, just punches and movement.
Easy enough right?
Wrong.

Although its been said that my boxing is my strong suit, I'm not so sure now.
I was half way through the 4 minute round, feeling good, loving the satisfying "CRACK CRACK CRACK" the mitts make when my punches connect, sounds alot like a 22 rifle being fired.
Im big, Im moving faster than a big man should, rifle-esque report echoing around the basement gym which is Ihara gym, all eyes on me and then Noi held for my left hook, my best punch and my mind is on alot of things other than what Im doing so at full speed I manage to connect with the pad with my thumb. My thumb nail to be more precise.

Ouch.

I damn near ripped it off but I finished the round strong and remembering to stay focused or dont bother.

So today the area under my thumb nail is a not so attractive dark purple.

This prompted me to think about my hook, which prompted me to write this blog entry.

The hook in boxing and the hook in Thai kickboxing is different...in fact...Ive worked with about 10 different coaches over the years in boxing and kickboxing and I have seen 10 different variations on how to throw a hook.

The hook is a sneaky little bastard. It can come out of nowhere and its a very dangerous weapon, its also very strong, not unlike a right straight but its closer to the target so its readily more accessible than a right straight.
Freddy Roach (world famous boxing super coach) has said "Only suckers get hit with the right hand." He is a big advocate of the jab and the left hook.

One of the principle differences I have noticed in the boxing hook compared to the kickboxing one the tendencey to wind up used by thai fighters and alot of kickboxers.
The left shoulder is brought back just before the left foot steps in hence providing the hook with more run way if you will and more power in total. Most boxing coaches Ive worked with dont like that, its a tell, a signal to the keen observer that your going to hook. I however, load up all my punches.

Heavy weights are expected to hit hard.

The lead foot pivoting with the punch in order to involve the legs is another widely used technique, one not taught by my coach....I am not sure why but I think it has to do with the rythum he likes. Big punches followed by big kicks, always from the furthest distance possible to stay clear of the elbows (elbows in muay thai are like knives, and allowed in the matches) so the pivot doesnt really fit in. Most of the power is coming from the shoulders, back and just sitting down on the punches.

The hand position seems to be another bone of contention when discussing hooks.
Should the palm be facing the person throwing the punch or should it be facing the floor? Ive heard arguments for both. palm down connects harder and has more torque, palm facing you is anatomically more correct hence a harder punch.

Whatever. I punch palm facing me because it feels more comfortable.

The big point here is to make sure you are throwing the hook and connecting the your knuckles and NOT your fingers. I was wearing a glove Im not used to when I hurt my thumb so perhaps that had something to do with it, but its more likely that I just wasn't paying attention and I connected at an odd angle, nearly ripping my thumbnail off.

From my perspective the following points should be observed when using the hook:

From your guard position...

1. Pull your guard in tight but keep your chest high, chin down.
2. Draw your lead shoulder back a bit while keeping your guard high and tight.
3. Step straight into your target with your lead leg.
4. As your step, keeping your legs slightly bent, maintaining general balance, bring your lead shoulder forward and around.
5. As your shoulder rotates forward, let the momentum carry your hooking lead hand in a decent ark, not too wide or too tight, like a rainbow (lovely analogy).
6. Make sure your fist is CLOSED on impact and your knuckles land squarly.
7. You should being trying to punch THROUGH the target, imagine ripping the persons head completely off.
8. Whether you hit or miss, keep your balance and return quickly to a good guard position.

This is a very thai style hook, its how my coach teaches it and how I punch now. Its also the most efficient for generating knock out power that I have experienced.

Remember....10 coaches, 10 different hooks.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿